No matter how well-planned your marketing strategy is, if your Divi website isn’t visible in the search results, you will have a hard time growing your business.
In fact, when done correctly, SEO can help bring more qualified traffic to your website, improve your website’s user experience, and ultimately increase your revenue.
In this guide, we will cover the basics of SEO and provide practical tips and strategies for ranking your Divi website. We will discuss the importance of keyword research, on-page optimization, and link building, providing best practices for each.
Whether you are new to SEO or have some experience with it, this guide provides valuable insights to help you improve your website’s ranking and drive more qualified traffic. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- FAQs About Ranking Websites in SERPs
- How Do Search Engines Work?
- Conduct Keyword Research
- Optimize Your Content
- Get High-Quality Backlinks
- Speed Up the Experience
- Make your website mobile-friendly
- Over to You
FAQs About Ranking Websites in SERPs
What does it mean to rank a website?
Ranking a website refers to its position or visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) for specific keywords or search queries. Websites that rank higher in search results are more likely to attract organic traffic and receive more visibility and clicks from users.
How does search engine ranking work?
Search engines use complex algorithms to determine the ranking of websites. These algorithms analyze various factors such as relevance, content quality, user experience, website structure, backlinks, and more. By considering these factors, search engines aim to present the most relevant and valuable websites to users based on their search queries.
What is organic ranking?
Organic ranking refers to the position of a website in search engine results based on its relevance and quality, without any paid advertising. Websites that rank organically appear in the regular search results below any paid advertisements or featured snippets.
What is search engine optimization (SEO)?
Search engine optimization (SEO) encompasses strategies and practices aimed at improving a website’s visibility and organic ranking in search engine results. SEO involves optimizing website content, structure, and technical aspects to align with search engine algorithms and user preferences.
How can I improve the ranking of my website?
Improving the ranking of a website involves implementing effective SEO strategies, which may include:
- Conducting keyword research and optimizing website content with relevant keywords.
- Creating high-quality, engaging, and valuable content that attracts and retains visitors.
- Ensuring the website’s structure and navigation are user-friendly and easily accessible.
- Optimizing on-page elements such as meta tags, headings, and image alt tags.
- Building a strong backlink profile by acquiring quality backlinks from reputable websites.
- Enhancing website speed and performance for better user experience.
- Optimizing for mobile devices to cater to the increasing number of mobile users.
- Monitoring and analyzing website analytics to identify areas for improvement.
How long does it take to rank a website?
The time it takes to rank a website can vary significantly based on several factors, including the competitiveness of the industry, the quality of existing content and backlinks, the effectiveness of SEO strategies, and the frequency of algorithm updates.
It generally takes time and consistent effort to improve a website’s ranking, and it can range from a few weeks to several months or more.
Can I pay to improve my website’s ranking?
While you cannot directly pay to improve your organic ranking, you can invest in paid advertising options such as search engine marketing (SEM) or pay-per-click (PPC) campaigns. These paid strategies can help increase visibility and drive traffic to your website.
However, to improve your organic ranking, you need to focus on implementing effective SEO strategies and providing valuable content that meets user needs.
Is it possible to guarantee the top ranking in search engine results?
No, it is not possible to guarantee the top ranking in search engine results. Search engine algorithms are complex and constantly evolving, and search engines prioritize delivering the most relevant and high-quality results to users.
Achieving a top ranking requires ongoing efforts, adapting to algorithm changes, and implementing effective SEO practices to improve website visibility and authority.
Can social media activity impact website ranking?
Social media activity indirectly influences website ranking by driving traffic, increasing brand visibility, and generating backlinks.
While search engines do not consider social media metrics as direct ranking factors, the amplification of content through social media can lead to increased website visits, engagement, and potential backlinks, which can positively impact a website’s ranking in the long run.
Should I prioritize ranking over user experience?
It is important to strike a balance between ranking and user experience. While optimizing for search engines is crucial, providing a positive user experience is equally important.
Search engines increasingly value user-centric factors such as page load speed, mobile-friendliness, user engagement metrics, and content relevance.
Prioritizing user experience not only enhances your website’s potential to rank but also improves user satisfaction, which can lead to higher conversions and long-term success.
How Do Search Engines Work?
Search engines use algorithms that crawl and index the Internet in order to determine the most relevant page for a specific keyword.
Therefore, to improve the ranking of your Divi website, it’s important to understand how search engines work and what they take into consideration when ranking websites.
Here’s a general overview of how search engines work:
- Crawling: Search engines use special software, called “spiders” or “bots,” to crawl the web and discover new and updated web pages. These spiders follow links from one page to another and index the content of the pages they visit.
- Indexing: Once a page is crawled, the search engine stores the content of the page in its database, or “index.” The index quickly retrieves relevant pages in response to a user’s search query.
- Ranking: When a user enters a search query, the search engine compares the query to the pages in its index and ranks the pages based on their relevance and quality. The search engine then displays the most relevant results to the user.
To determine the relevance and quality of a webpage, search engines use a variety of factors, including the content of the page, the presence of keywords and phrases, the number and quality of backlinks from other websites, and the overall user experience.
Search ranking matters because it determines the visibility and accessibility of your website to users searching for relevant keywords on search engines like Google.
If your website ranks highly in search results, it is more likely to be seen by users, which can lead to an increase in traffic and potential customers.
On the other hand, if your website ranks poorly, it may be buried on the second or third page of search results, where it is less likely to be found.
There are several reasons why search ranking is important:
- Improved visibility: A high search ranking means that your website will be more visible to users searching for relevant keywords. This can lead to an increase in traffic and potential customers.
- Increased credibility: A high search ranking can also improve the credibility of your website in the eyes of users. If your website ranks highly for relevant keywords, users may perceive it as a more trustworthy and authoritative source of information.
- Better user experience: A well-ranked website is more likely to provide users with a better experience, as it is more easily accessible and relevant to their search query. This can lead to increased engagement and a lower bounce rate (the percentage of users who leave your website after viewing only one page).
- Increased revenue: A high search ranking can lead to an increase in traffic and potential customers, which can ultimately result in increased revenue for your business.
In short, search ranking matters because it can have a significant impact on the visibility, credibility, user experience, and revenue of your website.
Conduct Keyword Research
Keyword research is critical for your Divi website’s SEO efforts, and it understands the effort of identifying the search terms that your target customers use to learn more about their needs.
The following are the most important steps you can take to conduct thorough keyword research for your Divi website:
- Identify the target audience: Who are your target customers? Learn their interests, demographics, their necessities, and formulate the keywords according to their searches.
- Determine your goals: What do you want to achieve with the content on your website? Consider the topics and phrases that will take you to those goals.
- Prepare a list of relevant terms: Brainstorm the phrases and search terms that are relevant to your target audience. Think about your products and services, as well as anything related that can be beneficial to your target readers.
- Use keyword research tools: There are plenty of research tools that can make the job easier for you, such as SEMrush, Ahrefs, and Google’s Keyword Planner.
- Analyze your competitors: Browse your competitors’ websites to gauge the keywords they’re targeting, which will provide you with valuable data about what’s working in your industry.
- Categorize your keywords: Once you have your keywords ready, you need to categorize them according to relevance, search volume, and competitiveness.
- Test your keywords: Track your Google Analytics when implementing your keywords strategy. You must see which keywords drive organic traffic for you and adapt accordingly.
Once you identify the keywords that you want to target, you need to start creating topic clusters.
Topic clusters involve creating a main pillar page that covers a broad topic in depth and then linking to a group of related pages, or “cluster pages,” that focus on specific subtopics within that broader topic.
The goal of a topic cluster is to improve the organization and discoverability of your content, as well as to improve your website’s SEO. Here’s how you can create topic clusters:
- Identify the main topics you want to cover on your website or blog. These should be broad umbrella topics that encompass a range of related subtopics.
- Create a main pillar page for each of these topics. These pages should provide a comprehensive overview of the topic and include a range of subheadings to cover different aspects of the topic in detail.
- Identify the subtopics within each main topic you want to cover in depth. These will be the focus of your cluster pages.
- Create cluster pages for each of these subtopics, focusing on providing in-depth coverage of each subtopic.
- Link the cluster pages to the relevant main pillar page and vice versa. This will help to establish the relationship between the main topic and the subtopics and make it easier for readers to find related content.
- Use relevant keywords throughout your content to help search engines understand the topic and theme of each page. This will help your website rank higher in search results for those keywords.
- Use internal linking to link related pages within your website, as this can also help improve your SEO and make it easier for readers to find related content.
By following these steps, you can create a cohesive and well-organized group of pages around specific topics on your website or blog, which can help you improve the user experience and your Divi website’s SEO.
Optimize Your Content
Once you’ve identified your target keywords, you need to optimize your content to include and match those keywords. The better you optimize the content, the higher your Divi website can rank.
On-page content optimization revolves around developing high-quality content based on your target audience’s search interests.
Once the content is created, you’ll need to optimize the page title, meta description, URL, headlines, images, and body content.
For example, header tags (H1, H2) and alt tags signal search engines what your content is about. Including the target keywords within the tags can help Google understand whether your content is relevant or not.
Moreover, you can start your content with engaging introductions and paragraphs that motivate the users to proceed with reading. Within your content, you need to include one of your target keywords or variations of them.
But pay attention to keyword density. While it’s important to note that keyword density is just one of many factors that search engines consider when ranking pages, it’s generally not a good idea to try to optimize your content solely for keyword density.
In fact, keyword stuffing can actually harm your search engine rankings and make your content less readable.
Instead of focusing on keyword density, it’s more effective to create high-quality, relevant content that naturally incorporates your target keywords. As a general rule of thumb, aim for a keyword density of around 1-2% for most content.
However, there is no hard and fast rule for keyword density, and what works best will depend on the specific content and audience you are targeting.
Get High-Quality Backlinks
As a critical search engine ranking factor, high-quality backlinks are necessary for improving your SEO efforts. But how do you earn them for your Divi website?
There are a few strategies you can use to get backlinks for your website:
- Create high-quality content that other websites will want to link to. This could include blog posts, infographics, or research studies.
- Reach out to other websites and ask them to link to your content. Be sure to provide a good reason for them to do so, such as highlighting how your content adds value to their readers.
- Participate in online communities related to your industry and share your content there. This can help you build relationships with other industry professionals and potentially earn backlinks.
- Collaborate with other websites or influencers and create content together. This can help you get backlinks from their websites or social media profiles.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate and has a clear hierarchy. This will make it easier for search engines to crawl your site and for other websites to link to specific pages on your site.
It’s important to note that it’s generally considered poor practice to try to buy backlinks or use tactics like link schemes to artificially inflate the number of backlinks pointing to your site. Search engines like Google penalize websites that engage in these practices.
If you don’t optimize your content for backlinks, you’ll struggle to convince websites to link to it. As a result, your content won’t rank for your target keywords since Google considers the number of backlinks to a site as one of the primary ranking factors.
Speed Up the Experience
Slow page loading times are one of the main reasons for high page bounce rates. With people’s attention span lasting only a few seconds, performance is more important than ever, particularly when it comes to better search rankings.
This audit will help you get valuable data that can help you address your Divi site’s performance and page loading speed with the following tactics in mind:
- Use a high-end performance-optimized hosting: A powerful hosting can make all the difference when it comes to Divi performance. Solutions such as Kinsta or WPMU Dev offer everything you need to host a high-performance Divi website.
- Compress images, gifs, and videos: Large images slow down the web experience, and this is why compressing them and the rest of the media files is a must, but remember not to lose the file quality completely afterwards.
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN): A CDN is a network of servers that delivers content to users based on their geographic location. By using a CDN, you can reduce the load on your server and improve the loading times of your website for visitors around the world.
- Leverage caching with plugins: Caching plugins such as Nitropack or WP Engine store a static version of your website, which can reduce the load on your server and speed up the website for visitors.
Make your website mobile-friendly
With more and more people accessing the Internet from their smartphones, it’s important to make sure that your Divi website is mobile-friendly.
Mobile-responsive websites are generally ranked better in search engines because they provide a better user experience for people accessing the website on a mobile device.
A mobile-responsive website is designed to adapt to the screen size and resolution of the device it is being accessed on, providing an optimal viewing experience for the user.
This includes resizing text and images, rearranging content, and making sure that links and buttons are easy to click on with a finger.
On the other hand, a website that is not mobile-responsive may be difficult to read or navigate on a mobile device, leading to a poor user experience.
This can result in a higher bounce rate (when people leave the website after only viewing one page) and a lower average time on the page, both of which can negatively impact search engine rankings.
In addition, Google has made it clear that mobile-friendliness is a ranking factor for search results. As a result, mobile-responsive websites are generally more likely to rank well in search engine results, especially for mobile searches.
Over to You
While SEO can be a complex and ever-evolving field, following the tips and strategies outlined in this guide will help you get started and set you on the path to success.
Remember to continually monitor and analyze your SEO efforts, and be prepared to adapt your strategy as necessary to keep up with changing algorithms and trends.
We hope that this SEO guide has provided you with valuable insights and practical tips to help you improve your website’s ranking and drive more qualified traffic. Good luck, and happy optimizing!
Try Divi Areas Pro today
Sounds interesting? Learn more about Divi Areas Pro and download your copy now!
Many pre-designed layouts. Automated triggers. No coding.
Click here for more details