Did you know popups remain one of the most effective ways to interact with potential customers?
Indeed, even though they have a bad reputation for ruining the UX of websites, to be fair, that’s only because they haven’t been implemented and designed with customers’ expectation in mind.
Popups can be highly beneficial for building customer relationships, promoting products and services, and delivering more sales.
However, before you can deploy popups to build relationships with potential customers, you need to know what type of popups to use first. That’s where this article can help!
In this article, we’ll guide you through the five popup examples that build trust with subscribers and how you can get inspired by them to build your email list. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- FAQs About Popups and Building Trust
- What Are Popups?
- Example #1: Welcoming Visitors Popups
- Example #2: Personalized Offer Popup
- Example #3: Right Place, Right Time Popup
- Example #4: Valuable Content Popup
- Example #5: Coupons & Discount Popup
- Example #6: Testimonials and Social Proof Popup
- BONUS: Popup Best Practices
- How Can DiviMode Help?
- Over to You
FAQs About Popups and Building Trust
How can popups help build trust with subscribers?
Popups can be powerful tools for building trust with subscribers when used effectively. Here are some ways popups can contribute to trust-building:
- Testimonials and Social Proof: Incorporate testimonials or social proof in your popups to showcase positive feedback or reviews from satisfied customers. This demonstrates that others have had a positive experience with your products or services, fostering trust.
- Exclusive Content or Offers: Offer exclusive content, such as free resources, guides, or access to a members-only area, through a popup. This demonstrates your willingness to provide value upfront and build a relationship based on trust.
- Certifications and Trust Badges: If your website has relevant certifications, security badges, or affiliations, feature them in a popup. Displaying these trust indicators can increase confidence in your brand and reassure subscribers that their interactions with your site are secure.
- Clear Value Proposition: Clearly communicate the benefits and value subscribers will receive by subscribing to your email list. Use a popup to emphasize the value of your content, such as timely updates, educational resources, or exclusive discounts.
How can I design trust-building popups effectively?
When designing trust-building popups, keep these best practices in mind:
- Clear and Concise Messaging: Use concise and compelling copy that clearly communicates the benefits and value subscribers will receive. Be transparent, avoid jargon, and focus on building trust through honest and direct communication.
- Professional Design: Ensure your popup has a visually appealing design that aligns with your brand’s aesthetics. Use high-quality images, legible fonts, and consistent branding elements to create a professional and trustworthy impression.
- Mobile Responsiveness: Optimize your trust-building popups for mobile devices. Given the increasing use of smartphones, it’s important that your popups are visually appealing and functional on various screen sizes.
- Easy Dismissal: Provide an obvious and easy-to-use close button or dismiss option for subscribers who are not interested in the popup. Respect their preferences and make it effortless for them to close the popup.
- A/B Testing: Experiment with different variations of your trust-building popups to determine the most effective designs, messaging, and timing. A/B testing helps you refine your popups based on data-driven insights.
What Are Popups?
A popup is a window that appears to users on their browsing page, specifically advertising a discount, promoting a product, getting more leads, or growing an email list.
Therefore, there are several popular types of popups, and each of them has a different goal that you can use to grow your business:
Standard Email Popup
The most popular type of popup, used to collect users’ email addresses and to generate leads via offering visitors something that they’d like such as an eBook, freebie, or a discount.
A sidebar popup is a type of popup that shows up on users’ sidebars while browsing a website. It is the least of intrusive popups and excellent for delivering quick messages, offers, or reminders to potential customers.
Sticky Bar Popup
Sticky bar popups are basically ‘sticked’ to the top or the bottom of users’ screen. Just like sidebars, sticky bars supply quick and targeted messages or offers to potential customers.
A high-converting popup is relevant to the target customer and generates more leads from your Divi website as a result. Some of the most significant features that the best popups have are:
- Value: Popups should promise or deliver value to subscribers immediately, either through content, discount, great offer, or other significant perks.
- Non-intrusiveness: Popups can be custom tailored to appear at the right place, at the right time.
- Visual Cohesiveness: Popups should be visually appealing and designed according to the branding colors of the entire website.
- Captivating Copy: Effective popups captivate page visitors with copywriting that answers questions and alights with target customers’ personalities.
Now that we’ve discussed the basics of successful popups let’s review some great examples that can help you build trust with your subscribers.
Example #1: Welcoming Visitors Popups
First impressions matter, both in life, and online. This is why how you’ll welcome first-time visitors on your Divi website and what you offer within the popup is critical. For example, let’s say that users are looking for some templates online and land on a page where there’s plenty of information about it.
But, brands that know how to capture leads know that there’s always to offer consumers and keep them interested:
Besides the article about sticky bar templates, ConvertFlow provides an entire library of ready-made templates that potential customers can use and wants first-time visitors to be familiar with it. Thus, a popup that welcomes them with this type of information is perfect at this stage.
Example #2: Personalized Offer Popup
A personalized offer inside a popup can be implemented at any point during the customer journey, even before or after a subscriber becomes your customer. In most cases, eCommerce brands use personalized offers to get more sales while increasing the trust in the brand.
A personalized offer at the right time such as the above can easily gain you new loyal subscribers and customers.
Candle Delirium welcomes new visitors with popup that includes a beautiful image of the product packaging, as well as an opportunity for them to immediately join the VIP club. Who would refuse this type of deal?
Example #3: Right Place, Right Time Popup
A timely popup appears to website visitors after they have been browsing on the website for a specific time.
This is an effective form of popup because it assumes that users are definitely interested in what you offer, given that they’re on the right product pages and posts for longer than couple of minutes.
For example, if someone leaves your website in 10-15 seconds, it is safe to assume that they’re most likely not interested in your company and won’t become your subscriber anytime soon.
But, if someone is browsing for more than a few minutes, a timely popup will help them absorb your offer better and subscribe to your product.
The popup appears on the Elegant Themes website when visitors browse for a longer time, assuming they have more questions and need further answers from the team.
Font and the colors are friendly and inviting to the users, and the inclusion of the support team faces adds more to the benefits of directly chatting with them.
Example #4: Valuable Content Popup
Great content and targeted information are worth gold to your potential customers. Thus, a popup that gives even more bonus value than you provide is perfect way to increase trust in your business.
For example, the OptinMonster blog and case studies section always brim with high value and the best content for target customers. However, they’re always ready to give even more to potential subscribers, and that’s exactly what they offer in their popups.
Example #5: Coupons & Discount Popup
When done right, popups can do more than just collecting subscribers for your email list. They can immediately bring you more sales and attract new customers with an irresistible coupon or discount.
This popup from SwissWatchExpo gives potential customers the possibility to access best discounts in a B&W contrast that looks sophisticated, and easy to read. Everyone that wants a luxury watch will think twice before turning down the option of subscribing to a discount newsletter.
Example #6: Testimonials and Social Proof Popup
This type of popup showcases positive feedback from previous customers or clients. By displaying testimonials, reviews, or user-generated content, you can build trust and credibility with new visitors.
Make sure to include images or names of the individuals providing the testimonials to make them more relatable and trustworthy.
Testimonial popups can be particularly effective on product pages, checkout pages, or landing pages where trust is a critical factor in the decision-making process.
BONUS: Popup Best Practices
So far, we’ve talked about the examples of the best popups that increase trust with your subscribers. Now, to make sure your popups are as effective as possible in achieving that purpose, we’re going to share several best practices for creating powerful popups:
1. Highlight the Benefits
Popups can be as effective as the value that you want to provide with them. It’s not enough to just ask for an email address. What are the benefits that you deliver as a return of that transaction?
Look at this pop-up example from Tim Ferris that wrote the monumental 4-hour Work Week book.
It is a popup provides more high value to his target audience that is trying to grow through his books, podcast, and blog.
2. Always Show Popups at The Right Time
As we’ve mentioned before in one of our examples above, time is of critical importance. When you promote a product, for example, most of the website visitors will open that page for the first time, and the worst thing for their experience is to immediately ruin it with a big popup.
To improve the power of your popups, leave users at least couple of minutes to get familiar with the page that they’re on. For calculating the best time to display the popup, you look at your Analytics data’s average time on page and activate your popups accordingly.
3. Match Your Popups with Your Website
When your popups show up on your website, users shouldn’t feel like they’ve landed on someplace else. This is why popups must be aligned with any other element on your page, and the overall look of your website, including colors, typography, and wording.
Here’s an example of a popup from WishPond that matches with the rest of their brand and website.
4. Make Popups Relevant
Relevance is really important if you want to earn your subscribers’ trust. They arrived on your website with a specific need in mind, and what you offer them is how you can help them fulfil that need.
Thus, to be more successful in that, your popup needs to be relevant with the page that they’re currently browsing.
HubSpot’s popups are an excellent example of how relevant a popup should be, always providing more related information for target customers.
5. Make CTAs Prominent
The call-to-action of your popups must be distinctive enough from the rest of the popup content, to capture people’s attention immediately, either with contrasting copy color or actionable wording.
The following is a clear and distinctive CTA by Nectar Sleep, where potential customers are immediately aware of the special savings offer they’ll get if they subscribe.
How Can DiviMode Help?
As the team behind one of the most powerful Divi popup plugins with 90,000+ installations, Popups for Divi, we’re proud to say that we’re the creators behind the ultimate solution for transforming every Divi section into a conversion-rate module – Divi Areas Pro.
Divi Areas Pro is much more than just a popup solution for your Divi website. It’s an all-around tool for website owners to grow their email lists and improve their conversion rates.
With Divi Areas Pro, you can build and customize campaigns with popups, fly-ins, hovers, mega menus, and conditional inline content, even if you’re a novice Divi user.
Some of the main benefits of using Divi Areas Pro, which make the plugin stand out from the rest in the marketplace are:
- Content Interactivity: Go beyond sections and rows. With Popups, Tooltips, Fly-ins, and dynamic Inline Areas, you can create truly interactive content, as never before!
- Content Conditionality: Whether you want to display a Popup on specific pages or show a contact form only to logged-in users: Display Conditions are part of every Divi Area.
With so many beneficial features for your popups and campaigns, with Divi Areas Pro, you can create a variety of individual and global popups for your pages, define when and where each popup gets displayed, and establish relevant email marketing campaigns.
For a further breakdown of Divi Area Pro’s features and pricing, we invite you to read our detailed blog post: Divi Areas Pro: Features Overview & Benefits.
Ready to join DiviMode and create the first popup for your email marketing campaign?
BONUS: Get a LIFETIME Access to Divi Areas Pro ($199 value) with 1-time payment and priority private support and live chat from our developers for maximum results – 14-day money-back guarantee! Click here to get started →
Over to You
We hope that the examples mentioned in this article helped you understand better how popups work in creating relationships with your target market.
Popups, when executed properly and used for the right purpose, can grow your business and boost the trust that subscribers have in your brand.
The sky is the limit when you provide value to your potential customers from the start without hurting their browsing experience.
Don’t forget, if you want to start growing your email list with popups, both of our plugins make this simple for you! Click here to get started →
Try Divi Areas Pro today
Sounds interesting? Learn more about Divi Areas Pro and download your copy now!
Many pre-designed layouts. Automated triggers. No coding.
Click here for more details